13.7.09

Winterthur

Shannon lives in a little city called Winterthur (pronounced VIN-tuh-tooah--think Arnold style). It's the sixth largest in Switzerland, but still has 50,000 less people than Evansville. The main street is nice with lots of little shops. I went to the church here which has an awesome organ and really cool painted walls. (I had only taken two photos before someone walked in and I felt like I should stop, but I'll share the better one).
Yesterday we went to a little restaurant that's in one of the oldest buildings in Winterthur to have some "rosti" which is basically glorified and extra oily hashbrowns... but they were good. Then we took a walk to some very nearby parks--one of which had a little building with lots of birds in it! It made my day; I plan on going back to that park tomorrow to read. There were two very especially friendly parrots who didn't like it much when we walked away from their cage.
My Rosti, complete with the flag of the canton it's named after

My friend the parrot giving me a rock.
We also went to a neat little shop which would never be allowed in the US. They sold glass bottles and had big jars/vats of alcohol on the walls--all different kinds and flavors and %alcohol... there must have been like 25 or 30 whiskies alone. They also sold oil and vinegar by the kilogram. I got the tiniest jar with Shannon's roommate Ashley so we could try some Latte creme liqueur. It was good, but I just thought the shop in general was neat, and know my Btown friends would appreciate.
Shannon with some of the whiskey

A wall of liqueurs

No comments:

Post a Comment