11.7.09

Some Shots from the Site

So, I haven't really talked too much about my daily schedule. We were up every morning at 530 and had to be on the bus by 6, because that's when it left. When we got to Voidikilia, we either had to walk or we were ferried by the workmen to the site, often in the back of their pickup trucks. I always sat in the front because I was raisedthat way. Once at the site we'd start the work immediately; sometimes this was using a kazmah if we had a lot of soil to move (the kazmah is a big pick) and sometimes it was gently picking around artifacts or walls with a screwdriver. I liked working with the screwdriver because of the detail it required, although this caused the joints of my pinkie and ring finger to hurt very badly and sometimes my hand went numb. whoops.

Loading in the back o the truck

Me with a kazmah! woooohoo!!!
We would break every day at 11 am for lunch. Michael had this weird horn that played happy birthday... now i'll always associate that song with food and naps. After snoozing a little under what shade we could find (there was one lunch tent), we'd go back to work for two more hours. I had a few favorite workmen, one named Seryon who was from Albania... I told everyone that if I would marry him if I were a little Greek woman. He always made fun of my scrawniness, and would yell "Bracchia!" whenever I passed so I would flex my buff arms for him. Peter worked often in our trench as well... he was very good at easy conversations: "Maruva, good?" "Good, Peter!" "Good." He also told me that I should be on television. hahahaha.

Peter and I
My trench and trench-master: Mike, Amanda, Me and Alyssa

Photogrammetry at the site one day
And then we'd go to beach.

I'm also going to include some photos from our last night party. It was lots of fun--it involved Greek dancing and lots of wine. Oh, and we got trophies from the mayor of Pylos. woot!

My friends and I at the party: Adam, Julia, Mike, Veronica, Stephen, Me
A sunset from the veranda

The mayor of Pylos and Michael talking to us before handing out trophies

No comments:

Post a Comment