18.7.09

One day in Switzerland…

My last full day in Switzerland was a great success. I woke up quite late, so I just took my time getting ready and then went out to lunch at this really neat restaurant called Tibits. It is all vegetarian, and they have a buffet bar in the middle of the restaurant where you just get however much of whichever dishes you’d like and then they weigh it at the register and you pay by weight. I tried one of everything because it all looked so delicious! But that did end up costing me… woops! It was worth it though.

After that I headed to the Oskar Reinhart collection museum just around the corner from Shannon’s apartment. It was amazing. Name every Realist/Impressionist painter you can and they were there. I saw Delacroix and Ingres, Daumier, Courbet, Millet, Manet, Monet, Van Gogh, Corot, Gauguin, and others. I spent several hours visiting and revisiting galleries. It was awesome, and I was so surprised to see so many paintings I’d studied and even written about. (They only have one Monet, and it was a little known painting but I wrote about it last semester, so I was quite excited.)

After spending half of the afternoon in the museum, I headed to a small shop called Teehaus. Inside there was a wall of tins--hundreds of them, and they all had samples of tea to smell. You could pick any tea on the wall and buy it by the 100 grams (or any variation thereof). I got two small packets for myself and one for my mum, and then sat outside with a cup of tea, a biscuit, and a nice book. It was lovely, with people to watch and a fountain within 20 feet.



For the evening, after Shannon got home from work, we went out for, well, the most Swiss thing you can think of--Fondue! We got a few odd looks because most Swiss don’t fondue in the middle of summer, but we bravely went onward with our plan… we went so onward that we finished the entire pot of fondue! It was a lot of cheese, but it was delicious. Then we took a turn around the town and went to visit the birdie park once more before my journey the next day to England.

No comments:

Post a Comment