2.7.09

Pylos times


The past week has been fairly regular. I got to work in the museum a couple of days washing and categorizing pottery. While it was a nice break from a hard day’s work, I’ve been glad to be back on the dig. The days were fairly cool last week, and I’ve been starting in the mornings with sweaters, but this week has started to heat up again.
We have been able to check out some lovely beaches after the dig day ends however. We went to a lovely little beach called Methoni, where my friends and I played in the shallow bay, enjoyed some fresh seafood at a beachfront restaurant, and then sat on the beach and played cards late into the night… we missed the bus back to Pylos, but it was worth the taxi fare.
Yesterday we were able to go to an absolutely beautiful beach called Voidokilia. It was a circular cove with sharp cliffs on each side of the entrance and sandy beaches around the rest of the bay. It is also the location of “Nestor’s Cave”, a cave described in antiquity (like very ancient antiquity) so we know it’s the real one. I didn’t know we were going in the morning, so I didn’t take any pictures as I hadn’t planned on bringing my camera. *sad face* Here's one of my friend Mike's. Tonight we head to a beach party over on the island across the bay, Sphakteria, for Fourth of July and Canada Day celebrations.


Also included is a picture of my hotel, just so you can see.

3 comments: