29.7.09

The Last Few Days of London-Town

My last days in England were very busy but a lot of fun. I spent Thursday at a big mall in London called Brent Cross and was able to walk over Tower Bridge during the night, which was fantastic. Lucy and I went to Windsor Castle on Friday; unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperative, but we had an ok time anyways. We took a break for some cream tea (whereby I overdosed on clotted cream and may never be able to eat it again, even though it is delicious) and went back to the castle to quickly see the state rooms and the doll's house. The castle is HUGE. I cannot imagine living there.
Tower Bridge at night

Windsor Castle with stormy cloudsThis is like one half of one part of the castle--it's huge!
Friday I experienced Primark (which was cheap cheap clothing... I bought three shirts for less than 10 pounds) and then set off with Lucy and her friend Kate to Canterbury for the weekend. We first went to Whitstable, a little town right on the coast. I got to play in the water a little bit, have proper fish and chips, and Lucy found an autographed photo of Sean Connery which I promptly bought. We went to Canterbury where I met Lucy's housemates for the coming year and also her friend Matt, with whom we had a drink at one of the many local pubs. Canterbury was beautiful by night (oh the stars!) but even prettier in the day. After being woken up early by Lucy's housemate's bird (Lance, a very friendly cockatiel--he gave me kisses on my neck, cheeky bird) we went to Canterbury Cathedral for mass. It was an awesome experience, I could just look at the architecture and be in awe. After mass we were able to walk around the enitre church, which stretches on some ways and has the tombs of Edward the somethingth and Henry IV, as well as Thomas Beckett, a priest who was martyred there. Lunch, bookshopping, and another cider before we headed home for a great supper put on by Jodi and Lorraine. Yum!

Lucy and Kate at Whitstable beach


Our alarm clock, Lance

The dome above the altar from where we were sitting for mass. It was beautifulMe in front of the old gate at Canterbury
Monday was my last day, and the highlights were eating another Magnum bar and stopping by Abbey Road. I made it safe to the airport but was almost foiled by getting on my plane by a fire alarm... thankfully they didn't take off without me, although my fellow passengers probably didn't like me too much. A beautiful sunset from the airplane over the clouds was a lovely good-bye to Great Britain (for now... I'll be back in January, don't worry Brits!)

Abbey Road Crossing

No comments:

Post a Comment