18.7.09

ENGLAND TIMES!

After an easy flight from the gorgeous Zurich airport, I landed in England to be greeted by Fran and Cat, along with Cat’s father. We rode back down to Aldershot in Hampshire where Cat lives. I also visited Surrey because it happens to be right across the “river” (creek/stream) by Cat’s house. We went to a “chippy” and got some proper English fish and chips (French fries for you Americans), which I enjoyed with Cat’s family (mum, dad, and three sisters) and Fran. After, the three of us went around to the woods near Cat’s house, which were very lovely--we talked about faeries and stag beetles. It was interesting. Later that night, after a dessert of strawberries and cream (I LOVE DOUBLE CREAM. I could eat it with a spoon), we played Monopoly until early in the morning; I found that Cat is a very… well, proud winner.

The woods next to Cat's house
The next day, after I had a full English breakfast (complete with kipper, which is fish... I tried it at least), we went to the shop around the corner, where they had some interesting crisps (chips for you Americans)--Prawn (shrimp) Cocktail, Steak and Onion, Smoky Bacon, Roast Chicken, Pickled Onion, and Worcestershire Sauce. Yum? They also had macaroni and cheese in a can! Why don’t we have that in America? That would be HUGE.

My first English Breakfast--the porridge is my favorite part
What they call bacon is a littttle bit larger than what we call bacon
Mac N Cheese in a CAN!!
Prawn (shrimp) Cocktail and Smoky Bacon flavored potato chips

We later headed to London to meet up with Lucy. Fran had to head home, but Cat and I met up with Lucy--who has a lovely house (and of course a lovely family)--and we had a great supper with her mum and dad. We then headed to the theatre--an hour late because we didn’t know that Press Night started an hour earlier than normal)--to see the second half of a play that her friend Jody is in; it‘s a South African musical all in Afrikaans… there were subtitles and it was very interesting, and apparently the writer/director, production staff, and performers are quite famous in South Africa. We enjoyed it but must go back to see the first half. It was press night and there was a gala afterwards which we were taken up to and I had a second supper. Then we joined the cast at the bar next door to celebrate the production manager’s last night in London. They were all very much fun, and have cool names like Loukmaan and Wilhelm (which has three syllables, by the way). Next time I go out though I plan on having a little less fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment