9.8.09

Plans for the next few months

The Ashram where I've started working

Just so everyone is up to date on what I’m doin‘:
Until the end of August I’ll be in Kathmandu. I’m working with the kids every Sunday through Friday morning from 545-7 and evening (430-6), spending time and helping them do homework. Then from 8-12 every day I’m working at the Pashupati Bridhu Ashram, a kind of elderly home… with less facilities. It’s actually the Ashram where Mother Theresa started her mission and the part I’m working for is run by the Sisters of Mother Theresa. On Saturdays the kids don’t have school, so I’m trying to set up a photography workshop for a small group of those interested and old enough. They all LOVE cameras, so I’m going to teach them the basics. I was inspired when one of the kids taught me more on my camera than I knew myself. He’s a smart one. He’s def in the class.
An entrance into the part of the Ashram where I work

From September to the end of November, I will be traveling the country to volunteer in other places. I don’t know in what order yet, but I plan to go to Pokhara, Banepa, and Dolpa.
In Pokhara I would be working with a home for boys, just tutoring in the mornings and evenings, and seeing them safely off to school. Banepa would be working in a hospital, doing whatever they need. A lot of premed students go there, but I love hospitals, having been raised by nurses, and I’m really starting to think of nursing as a career opportunity, although I’m my favorite Classics professor would hate that--she wants me to be an archaeologist, of course--anyways, tangent, where was I? Oh yes, Banepa=hospital. Both Pokhara and Banepa are fairly close to Kathmandu (as in only 6 hours away by bus). Dolpa would be a 20 hour bus ride, then staying in the main city there with my name on a waiting list until I’m allowed on a flight to my final destination. But it’s a beautiful place, up in the Himalayas, and I’d be teaching at an English school. I’m looking forward to all of my placements… I haven’t chosen when to go where because I’m hoping someone else will want to go to Dolpa so I don’t have to do the long trip alone. Although I can’t wait too long because then it will be uber cold. I’ll keep you guys updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment