17.8.09

Nepal: Second week.

The past week has been a good one. I was a little sick, but I’m now on the mend. I’ve been spending a lot of time with the kids… They’re absolutely awesome to be around; they’re so loving and love to learn. I know I shouldn’t, but I definitely have some favorites… Gita, although she’s very young and doesn’t speak any English (she’s just learning her alphabet), always has the biggest smile and tries her best to hold my hand when she can--and is always saving a kiss for me before I leave; Yeshorda just turned 13 and is quite shy but always good for a hug; Kabita is street smart and sassy, and speaks the best English I’ve heard; Sangita is 18 and humble, but very smart and quite cool; Ashok always needs help with his math homework, but is a quick learner; and Saroj is the best photographer and most creative kid I’ve met here. I could go on and on but I think I might bore you. Suffice it to say, these kids are awesome and deserve so much more than they have, but make the absolute best of everything they’ve got.
My girl Gita and I

I went to supper the other night with volunteers Sam and Lauren--we had a great meal on a terrace at Boudanath, which offered a great view. The Bouda stupa is 38 meters tall I found out last night. I had a veggie burger (YUM) and some potatoes, and tea, and coffee, and for dessert there was chocolate cake and lassi (Lassi is a yougurt drink here… if I haven’t described it before, well, it’s awesome). It was a great time. Lauren shared some of her adventures; she’s been working with kids at a Buddhist school on a writing workshop, and some of their stories are so great!
Bouda Stupa from a more level view

I also recently bought a traditional dress from Nepal--a kurta surwal. I plan on getting several more (well, maybe two more). They’re so pretty, and they’re good for every day wear here too… and they’re all tailor made. Yay!
My new, pretty blue kurta surwal!

1 comment:

  1. I think they have LASSI at the Taj Mahal. If you can stand more veggies with curry when you get back, we can go there (if it is still open...you never know with restaurants there)!

    Do they make baby kurta surwals...we may have to have you get Emma one...? If you got one for her for when you get back...it would be baby doll sized for her to have forever.

    ReplyDelete