2.10.09

*singing* Schoooool’s Out-- for-- the Dashain

My crazy UKG Class: Pradeep, Biplop, Sashila.

Well, today was our last day of school. It’s hard to believe that I’ve been here in Dolpa and teaching for four whole weeks, but time flies when there’s so much to do. I wish I could keep teaching--I have so many lessons planned out and need to keep going, plus I’ve grown so attached to the kids here, even Class I which I had trouble with at first. In Class I, Luckie is very smart, but needs to learn to stay in his seat and chup (be quiet), Bipana is the cutest and smartest girl in the class, and Pukar is always ready to help. UKG has Sashila, a very smart young lady, and Biplop, who I swear will be the next PM of Nepal. LKG is a madhouse, but Seshman and Amar are very smart as long as they aren‘t seated next to each other, and Sujata isn’t far behind if she’d pay attention; Manisha, Sova, and Durga are all terribly bright too. *Sigh* I’m SO gonna miss these kids.

But anyways *wipes away a tear*, today we taught the first four periods but were told that periods 5, 6, and 7 were cancelled as the kids had a program for us. We went down to the school after tiffin and all of the kids lined up while we were seated at the front of the playground. Three of the school founders came along with the teachers. Everyone made speeches (including us… I wish I’d had time to prepare!) and we were presented with official papers thanking us for our time volunteering. Then all of the kids, each of the fifty-three who were at school today (many have already gone home for Dashain (see the next post!)), gave us tika. It was so sweet, and such a mess! Tika is powdered dye or a dyed rice mix applied to the forehead as a blessing; today it was just a red powder, applied by a bunch of little kids, so it was all over our foreheads and clothes. The officials gave us tika as well, and then presented us with khata, which are white scarves sometimes called “journey scarves” to wish a safe journey; they‘re also given as gifts to Tibetan Buddhist lamas… the combination of the Hindu and Buddhist religions here is pretty cool. Then after a photo with all of the kids, school was dismissed and everyone went running home since Dashain is the biggest holiday, and this is akin to Christmas vacation.

Puspa (LKG) applying my tika

Amar getting ready to tika me

I must note that today in UKG we didn’t really stick to our lesson plan, instead taking a short break for photos (Biplop, Sashila, and Saugat are my pets, I’m afraid to say) and also to analyze a certain old wive’s tale. I have unfortunately been eaten alive by bugs here (including bed bugs)… you’d think we were high up enough at 3000 feet to be away from bugs, but nope. Anyways, my ankles are covvvverred in bug bites, and since I was scratching a lot, the kids told me how to fix it. Apparently, I need to get a piece of roti (fried flatbread) and scrape my ankles with it, and then feed it to a very dirty dog. I thought that’s what they were trying to tell me, but I didn’t believe that I’d heard them right until they illustrated the entire event on the whiteboard with stick people (and stick dogs). I almost died laughing. But that does not mean I’m beyond trying it. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Me with UKG

No comments:

Post a Comment