20.6.09

Pylos Life

A side street in Pylos


Pylos is a small town on the west coast of the Greek Peloponnese. It's absolutely gorgeous, with temperatures in the high 70s during the day and the 60s in the evenings and clear skies. It has a small bay with islands surrounding it on several sides, and shares the bay with some other small villages. There is also a large Ottoman Turk fort and castle near the southern tip, which I promise to explore soon so you can see it.
We're staying at the Hotel Karalis, where I have a balcony overlooking the wharf and a really nice roommate named Veronica. Everone on the dig is pretty nice. We spent some time exploring the
town yesterday after our work was done digging and after class. The stores and shops are all very small, but everyone is very friendly. There's a small beach in town, but there are supposedly bigger ones a short distance away. The nightlife is awesome, not in the typical college way of course, but the Greeks enjoy spending their time sitting outside of cafes, smoking and talking for hours. I think I'm going to try to emulate this way of life (the talking for hours with good company, not the smoking) ; there's no more beautiful place to do it.


The view from my balcony


4 comments:

  1. Wow Mariah! It looks to pretty!! Hope you get some time off to enjoy the sun a bit.

    Miss you,

    Cat -x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it. If you have time, make a quick post of why you are over there. Are you going to school, working, traveling? I guess I have not gotten any details at all about your trip. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariah I decided to check your blog today and I am glad that I did. It looks beautiful. I can't wait for more picks and information on your trip. Have a great time which I know that you will.
    Love,
    Sara L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so pretty that I am ready to pack and come for a visit. Since we just got home from Japan, Uncle Charllie will probably nix that idea. It is a good idea for a future trip. Just drink it all in and take lots of pix.
    Love you,
    Aunt Carin

    ReplyDelete