18.6.09

Mini-vacay in NYC: Now I know what that death card stood for...

Well.... that didn't work.

I'm not in Greece yet, even though I'm supposed to be on the bus at Pylos right now. Delta called me early yesterday morning to let me know that my second flight had been moved back four hours since they said my first one was delayed. My first flight was delayed a start by half an hour, but then got to Philly on time. I know it's confusing. They didn't really give me a choice though, they said, we changed your flight. What they failed to tell me was that you have to check in at JFK an hour an a half before the flight goes or you can't go with it. So this second flight they put me on had me landing in JFK at 259 when check-in closed at 3 and i had to switch terminals. Plus, the flight they put me on was, of course, delayed. So they told me Terminal 4 was open all night.

Luckily, Mom has a cousin, Linda, and she and her husband Alex live in Brooklyn. After sitting in Terminal 4 for quite some time by a payphone (as I left my cell behind for my six month journey), Alex came and picked me up. While I'm angry that I'm missing the first day of the program and most of the second as well, I'm so grateful for Alex and Linda, and Alex showed me a great time too. I was exhausted, but he took me out to see Brooklyn, and we went to Park Slope to walk around and get some dinner at a nice little restaurant called Song. Plus we got bagels for the morning.

I'm frustrated that if I could have stayed on the flights I booked, I would be in Greece by now. But I'm very grateful for my family here, their generosity, and the great time they've shown me. Plus, I got a bed and a shower, which was wonderful. Hopefully today's trip will work a lot smoother... let's give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment